Saturday, August 2, 2008

Out for a drive

There is a wedding going on in the hotel tonight - and as my room is directly above the disco, the floor and all the furniture is currently vibrating about once a second.

Had a fairly productive day today. The room I've been working in all week has been very cold, as the air conditioning is over-excitable. But today, the air conditioning was off, so it was very hot instead. So I spent the morning in the room, early afternoon outside on the bench under an umbrella until my battery went flat (well, the laptop's battery) and then I found that the air conditioning was on in the reception area, so I worked in there for the rest of the afternoon. The canteen was shut at lunch, but I was Lucky-ly prepared with food.

When I left work, I went for a short drive. The landscape of the area is quite interesting - there are quite a few hills around - but there are either quite steep hills, or no hills. It's how I'd imagine the landscape to be if I was very small and driving around a baking tray full of funny shaped meringues. I was a bit surprised to find fairly small roads (though still easily wide enough for two cars) and lots of steep hair-pin bends. (Click here and "drive" along the road using the arrow keys on your keyboard - only the last bit of the hill has been mapped, most of the bends were further up). I stopped by a lake in Metcalf Park on the way back briefly and went for a short walk in the sun.

Well, that's it for now, I think I'll go to sleep on all 4 pillows to absorb the vibrations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very nice Mr Kevin sir, apart from the disco and floor bouncing side of things. Would be great to return and explore the hills a little more - hope your car doesn't break down when you're in the middle of nowhere and by yourself though!!!

Unknown said...

Yay I got to leave a message finally!
Enjoyed the virtual drive.
Hope you got some sleep last night!