Tuesday, January 22, 2008

1 work day "to go"...

American butter is white (in case you were wondering).

When Graham and I entered the restaurant today, the waiter asked for my name (as there was a few minutes wait for a table and they'd call us when ready) so I said "Brown". As often happens, they didn't understand and asked "Did you say Graham?" which co-incidentally was good enough.

However, I had my own problems understanding the lady in the canteen at work today as well. In Hursley, when you ask for your meal, they say "carrots?" "beans?" etc. and put them on your plate if you want them. Today, I asked for my sweet and sour pork, and she said "faheer?". Wondering what sort of vegetable it was that she was potentially offering me, and looking helplessly at the cabbage and potatos she had in front of her, I asked her to repeat it about 3 times. I had never heard of a faheer before. When she showed me a ceramic plate and a plastic box, I realised the Americans don't say "Eat in or take away?", but usually "For here or to go?".

At breakfast, they assume everything is not "faheer", but "to go" - so they provide polystyrene containers for everything. Graham and I put a complaint in the box a week ago that we had no choice other than to be environmentally unfriendly - but we can see the cards still if we peer into the slot in the top, so they haven't looked at them yet.

Lastly, I watered the pot plant today with half a cup of water I didn't want, and then realised it was a plastic one. oops. By the way, the day was 7/10 in the morning and 8/10 in the afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So on the one time I asked for a "baaax" to take away the remainder of my enormous dinner, I blinkin' well forgot to eat it when I got it back to the hotel. I was very sad to have to relegate it to "the trash" when I got back ...note the over-use of the double-quote to comply with Kevin's style! ;-0

Kevin X Brown said...

I don't think that's my "style" at all. I hardly ever "use" double-quotes.

At least - not "properly".