Monday, January 14, 2008

Work, Gas and Ketchup

We were in work before 8am munching breakfast in the canteen, ready to start a conference call at "8 thirty". It was cancelled. The rest of the day was fairly productive and concluded with a nearby steak. I may even be over 9 stone when I reach home.

I had my first experience with a "gas station" today, as we filled up the hire car. We confessed ignorance, and the lady confirmed what our colleague Nick had said - that you pay first, for the amount of "gas" you think you want - then fill up the car. I paid for (or authorised) $50 - but as the cost of petrol is about half the price of the UK, the whole tank on the Ford Focus was filled up with $36 (£18). The charge of $36 is then made to my card. This seemed very strange, but I've just realise I sort of do this in the Shell garage in Chandler's Ford when I "pay at pump".

Thanks for the comments on the blog - in response to Graham, I suppose I should mention the "hitting the 57" phrase - a technique for getting ketchup out of the bottle. I've been wondering for years about how best to get ketchup from the bottle. There is a small "57" printed in glass just below the neck of the ketchup bottle. "Hitting the 57" helps the ketchup escape. (See YouTube) It's amazing Graham. I'll rest easy now. Night.

No comments: