Friday, January 11, 2008

The day at work

Last night saw bed time at 9pm, sleep until midnight, a bit of a doze till 2am, some emails and work till 4am, and a bit of a doze till 7am, listening to Radio 4 via the free internet access in the room - definitely the best feature of the hotel! None of the 20 supplied TV channels are from any country other than USA.

After cornflakes, orange juice and coffee at the hotel, we arrived at work at 8.30, and met our project manager, sorted out lots of things like security passes and rooms, and met the 3rd member of our team. Graham, Meena and I then set to work, drawing pictures on the white board, and coming up with a plan. We also discussed how "Half 2" means "Half past 2" unless you are German, in which case it means "Half to 2 = Half past 1", and how it means nothing to Californians who say "2.30". I also discovered that American for courgette is zucchini, and the Ground Floor is called the First Floor. And you can turn right at a red traffic light if it is safe to do so.

Had lunch outside on the roof of the first floor in the sun. Had dinner this evening in Morgan Hill - a little town just south of San Jose. All salad seems to be drowned in some kind of dressing... I think it must grow like it. Now feeling a bit sleepy. Night night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure Zucchini is just American, I've definitely seen it used in Australia too. I think it's just another term for courgette.

You've not mentioned the other Americanisms I've been banging on about like "hitting the 57" too! I feel like I'm initiating you into the culture a little by showing off how little I know about the US as well :-)